Monday, November 10, 2008

found a cure

i'll admit it - i've suffered from roasterphobia for a long while now. but this wknd i think i conquered it.

i'm not really big on cooking - i much prefer baking. i've had the comfort and convenience of living with my mom for the past four years and if i had to choose between my cooking and hers? mom wins EVERY time (except for her dressing, she makes it too dry so i'm in charge of that at thanksgiving). but yeah even in the months before i moved back home my meals had gone from protein/starch/vegetable to turkey pot pie hot pockets (10 for $10 at shoprite). even with the occasional party here and there, it'd been a long time since me and cooking had been acquainted.

now that my mom's gone i have no choice but to cook. when i did cook back in the day it was always something easy like chicken breasts or shake n bake drumsticks. never ever a whole chicken. my biggest issues being salmonella (touch the chicken, wash my hands, touch the chicken, wash my hands © me via filbert) and the chicken not being fully cooked. but i'm a big girl now and it's time to do big girl things. so i perused the grocery flier and saw that oven stuffers were on sale. i called my mom for help and she was so impressed at my attempt. i did what she said and a little bit of my own thing and viola! this is how homie the chicken turned out.


i seasoned it with salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika (i forgot the pepper while caught up in touching the chicken and washing my hands). i also shoved an onion in the cavity for more flavor. i dunno why but it took almost 4hrs for this bird to finish and it was only 7lbs. after the timer popped up i checked by the leg and it was still pink. maybe i'll move the rack up a little higher next time. this lovely little bird was accompanied by fresh string beans from the farmer's market and yellow rice. i brought some in for my lunch today and it was DEEEElicious.

gold star for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! whatcha cookin' next? =D

tia said...

i made brownies tonight. oh and bbq chicken pizza...we should be eating off of this chicken for the rest of the week.

there are drumsticks in the freezer so i'll probably make those this weekend. maybe i'll attempt to make some greens.